[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.4 & Polycom buddy status

James Fromm fromm at omnis.com
Wed Jan 24 08:55:31 MST 2007

We also use Polycom IP650 phones.  They are assigned to our customer
service department.  Each SIP interface is a member of our customer
service Queue in Asterisk.

The behavior we see is that the SIP interface in the queue will
sometimes not release from the in-use state.  Connecting to the
interface from another SIP device and immediately hanging up will clear
the state.

When this happens there is no SIP channel and the SIP peer appears
normal.  I have been unable to isolate a procedure to duplicate the
problem.  It happens erratically to all member interfaces throughout the
day.  I know that removing the call-limit option from the device's
config will stop the problem.  This will also remove the ability for the
SIP channel driver to track the device's state so we can't remove it
permanently.

The phones in question are configured with one line that will except
only one call.  The device itself does not think it is in-use because it
will accept another call.  Something in the SIP channel driver is not
clearing the state when a call is completed.

There is definitely no correlation between this and Asterisk restarting.
  In fact, if a device is 'stuck' on in-use, restarting Asterisk will
clear the state.

I've been working on this for a week now.  It only started for us
because I just implemented the call-limit option in the sip.conf in
Asterisk for the devices.  See my posts with subject 'Queue and
Interface time out'.