[asterisk-users] Why app_rx and app_tx when we have IAXModem and Hylafax and hy-email2fax? Should we reinvent the wheel?

Marco Mouta marco.mouta at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 19:15:54 MST 2007

I'm just wondering here, in our community... Why not HylaFax for Fax
solutions?

I'm not saying bad about the big efforts on app_tx and app_rx with spandsp.

But as me and many other asterisk users, we find out that
Hylafax+IAXModem+Asterisk is very reliable.

And from what i've been testing and reading, Hylafax is an extremely
powerful:

"HylaFAX is an enterprise-class system for sending and receiving facsimiles
as well as for sending alpha-numeric pages.

The software is designed around a client-server architecture. Fax modems may
reside on a single machine on a network and clients can submit an outbound
job from any other machine on the network. Client software is designed to be
lightweight and easy to port.

HylaFAX is designed to be very robust and reliable. The fax server is
designed to guard against unexpected failures in the software, in the
configuration, in the hardware and in general use. HylaFAX can support
multiple modems and a heavy traffic load."
http://www.hylafax.org/content/Main_Page

Using this architecture and bash script hy-email2fax, i've been able to
setup Email2Fax and Fax2Email.

Of course, we the community, could improve and simplify the integration and
documentation, as well as the process handled currently by hy-email2fax:

http://wpkg.org/email2fax/index.php/Download

Is a bad idea to bet on this solution?

My apologies, if someone thinks that i'm complaining about app_tx and
app_rx, that's not the case!

What I mean is that the Real Enterprise Fax Server is not Asterisk, but some
one had done it already and it's widely used Hylafax...

Please let me know if i'm missing something on this email.

Best regards to this great Community,

Marco Mouta
dCAP