[asterisk-users] Suggestion for a new asterisk setup.

Andy Hester ahester at architel.com
Thu Jan 11 09:41:11 MST 2007

Hello all,

I need to setup a new asterisk system with the following requirements:

1.  Will be moving from chan_sccp to sip (7960's), but I want to support
the sccp phones until everyone has been migrated.

2.  Need to maintain current portability of the 7960's.  (ie a user can
unplug his phone from the internal LAN, take it home or wherever, and
plugin and have the phone register and work just like in the office.

I have tried the following:

1.  Asterisk server on LAN behind NAT, LAN phones on the same net,
tested a phone with a public IP.

2.  Asterisk on Public IP, LAN phones on LAN behind NAT, didn't even get
to testing remote phones.

I am having trouble with calls completing but not passing the audio
stream.
I have done fixup SIP/opened 5060/tried many settings in SIP.conf/set
7960's to NAT=YES etc. I can not NAT each phone individually and allow
RTP to it, as I saw one person did.  I really don't want to run asterisk
on a public IP and a LAN IP going around my firewall.

Do I need to put the phones on a separate LAN network and run asterisk
on a public ip and private?

Do I need to run a SIP proxy.  I looked at SER/OPENSER, but it seems to
break some things.  (Need to be able to record all calls need MWI)

Should I run 2 asterisk boxes connected with maybe TDMoE?  Would that
work?

Thanks,
Andy Hester