[asterisk-users] Re: Is there a low cost cell phone base station for asterisk ?

cb cb at mythtech.net
Wed Jan 10 16:44:01 MST 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 6:33 PM, M.Hockings wrote:

> But it would have been slick to be able to use the old analogue
> cell phones as we have several unused here and I am sure they would
> be cheap or free to pick up more.

I don't know about in Canada, but around here (NJ, USA), there has
been a company selling cordless phones for next to nothing recently.
I think the company was ATS or something like that. They appear to be
fairly standard 2 GHz cordless phones that are meant to be plugged
into a traditional POTS line. They have been available anywhere from
free after rebates to as low as just a few dollars at the register.

I think the catch with them is, they all have a speed dial button
that activates some cheap prepaid calling service. So the company is
pushing the phones out as cheap as possible in order to get them into
people's hands, with the hopes that they will then use the prepaid
calling service that is built into them.

But as far as I can tell, there is nothing requiring you to use the
service, if you choose not to, they work just like a normal cordless
phone.

Could be an easy way to pick up a few cheap phones as long as you
have some kind of FXS device to connect them to Asterisk (and that
also assumes you can get them at all in Canada).

-chris
<www.mythtech.net>