[asterisk-users] Re: Is there a low cost cell phone base station for asterisk ?

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Wed Jan 10 16:37:44 MST 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 06:33:05PM -0500, M.Hockings wrote:

> That is more what I was thinking of but it is still a cell provider type
> of hardware.  In my mind I was thinking of something very low powered
> and turning off the roaming, etc on the phone so they only work with the
> one base.   Think single cell base-station transceiver that can talk to
> a cell phone and turn it into a sip conversation to Asterisk.  Here in
> Canada, and back years ago, when I worked with radio I think the law was
> something like less than 100mw of input power didn't require a license.
>  However, with the advent of cell phones that could very well not be
> the case in those bands.  But one never knows...

PicoCell have a reference design for a pico GSM basestation, but any
country allowing cell phones will require licensing (even for low
power).

You'd have to pick frequencies not used by any network and that may be
problematic.

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44-(0)7775 755503
UK +44-(0)20 79932612 / US +1-(310)8577715 / Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/Mac stevekennedyuk / MSN steve at gbnet.net
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com