[asterisk-users] Re: Is there a low cost cell phone base station for asterisk ?

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Wed Jan 10 16:33:05 MST 2007

Dumpolid Exeplish wrote:
> It is true what Eric and Steve have said, you do need a licensed GSM
> frequency to operate and sell GSM services (even for rural areas).
> however, this link might be of interest to you
>
> http://rfdesign.com/mag/radio_field_trials_allsoftware/

That is more what I was thinking of but it is still a cell provider type
of hardware.  In my mind I was thinking of something very low powered
and turning off the roaming, etc on the phone so they only work with the
one base.   Think single cell base-station transceiver that can talk to
a cell phone and turn it into a sip conversation to Asterisk.  Here in
Canada, and back years ago, when I worked with radio I think the law was
something like less than 100mw of input power didn't require a license.
  However, with the advent of cell phones that could very well not be
the case in those bands.  But one never knows...

In any case I'll probably lean towards something like the Engenius
wireless phones.

http://www.engeniustech.com/telecom/products/details.aspx?id=107

But it would have been slick to be able to use the old analogue cell
phones as we have several unused here and I am sure they would be cheap
or free to pick up more.

Thanks to all for your input

Mike