[asterisk-users] Re: Best inexpensive home office router for VoIP (QoS with maybe PoE)

Mark Coccimiglio n3whx at amsat.org
Wed Jan 10 11:00:54 MST 2007

> Mark,
>
> Do these 1600 series Cisco routers you mention that you find on eBay
> for $50-$150 support Layer3 routing?  I have a managed switch setup on
> my home network with several VLANs defined. (work subnet, home subnet,
> VOIP subnet)   I currently have to use a Linux box to route between
> the VLANs.  I'd like to move to Gigabit routing, but I'd need to
> replace the Linux box(more processor power and new NICs) and that gets
> expensive.
>
> I'd much rather have a router or smart switch for that matter that
> does Gigabit Layer3 routing all in one unit.
> Do you have any recommendations....that wouldn't break the bank?
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

Ed,
   Layer3 routing is a fundamental function of a router which is
supported by the Cisco 1600 series (1605R specifically) router.  However
VLAN definitations are not supported in the 1600 series.  You would need
to moveup to the 1700 or 2500 series for that function.  As for Gigabit
support the 1600 and 1700 series do not support that high speed
interface.  These router are designed around WAN style routing operating
at ~1.5Mbps.  Gigabit routing is a rather cutting edge capablity that is
only seen in newer hardware.  I would checkout a Cisco Catalyst 3500
series for something like that.  Be carefull and look closely some
systems only support 2 ports on 1000baseT and the rest are 100BaseT.

     Good luck and happy hunting,

Mark Coccimiglio