[asterisk-users] Re: Best inexpensive home office router for VoIP (QoS with maybe PoE)

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Wed Jan 10 11:33:48 MST 2007

Quoting Mark Coccimiglio <n3whx at amsat.org>:

>> Mark,
>>
>> Do these 1600 series Cisco routers you mention that you find on eBay
>> for $50-$150 support Layer3 routing?  I have a managed switch setup
>> on my home network with several VLANs defined. (work subnet, home
>> subnet, VOIP subnet)   I currently have to use a Linux box to route
>> between the VLANs.  I'd like to move to Gigabit routing, but I'd
>> need to replace the Linux box(more processor power and new NICs) and
>> that gets expensive.
>>
>> I'd much rather have a router or smart switch for that matter that
>> does Gigabit Layer3 routing all in one unit.
>> Do you have any recommendations....that wouldn't break the bank?

Do you actually know how utilized the linux box is now ? its probably
near zero
and all you need is a couple cards. Routing even with complex rules takes very
little cpu.

>> Thanks,
>> Ed
>>

> Ed,
>   Layer3 routing is a fundamental function of a router which is
> supported by the Cisco 1600 series (1605R specifically) router.
> However VLAN definitations are not supported in the 1600 series.  You
> would need to moveup to the 1700 or 2500 series for that function.
> As for Gigabit support the 1600 and 1700 series do not support that
> high speed interface.  These router are designed around WAN style
> routing operating at ~1.5Mbps.  Gigabit routing is a rather cutting
> edge capablity that is only seen in newer hardware.  I would checkout
> a Cisco Catalyst 3500 series for something like that.  Be carefull
> and look closely some systems only support 2 ports on 1000baseT and
> the rest are 100BaseT.
>
>     Good luck and happy hunting,
>
> Mark Coccimiglio

Jon Pounder

   _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com