[asterisk-users] Re: Best inexpensive home office router for VoIP (QoS with maybe PoE)

Gary Richardson gary.richardson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 08:42:54 MST 2007

I'd wager to say yes, it does support layer 3 routing :) That's a bit of a
redundant term (though you can route above layer 3). Depending on how many
interfaces you have on your router, you may be sending multiple vlans over a
trunk port (I'm pretty sure the 1600 series support trunk ports -- you may
want to google 'router on a stick').

Most of the layer 3 gigabit switches will still be very expensive, though
Catalyst 3500's may be getting 'cheaper' -- most of the 3500 and 3700 series
switch have multi-gigabit backplanes (usually 16 - 32 gigabits) and can
usually route packets are wire speed, or very close to it. If you are
looking for a gigabit port or two for uplink, I believe they even made a
2900G, though that won't have PoE. And now that I think about it, probably
doesn't support layer 3 routing :(

That's the Cisco world, I'm sure you can find other vendors that have
hardware for much cheaper, though this is an advantage to using the same
networking equipment most other people are using. Also, most of this is
overkill for a handful of network devices.