[asterisk-users] Voicemail personalised greetings using DB/IMAP backend?

Bryan M. Johns bryan at sheltonjohns.com
Sat Jan 6 09:58:43 MST 2007

We are in a project right now where we have build a single asterisk
switch acting as a master SIP router and delivering service to and
from about 30 xen-based VMs.  It is a multi-tenant build.  I am not
certain if this is your particular scenario or if I am off-base.

A word of caution, though.  Do not run SIP routing functions on Dom0
in a Xen environment and do not use Asterisk 1.4 for these functions
yet.  In testing, we encountered routine segmentation faults on both
our Dom0 and our 30 DomUs.  We fixed this issue by separating the
core SIP routing functions to a stand-alone server and by downgrading
all DomUs to Asterisk 1.2.14.

Our entire architecture is Fedora 6, by the way.  DomU is 32bit and
all DomUs are run on a single, large 64bit server platform.

I hope this is helpful.

Bryan M. Johns
Partner
Shelton | Johns Technology Group
office: 678:248:2637 x:1500
direct: 678:229:1809
mobile: 404.259.9216
iaxtel: 700:248:2637 x:1500
http://www.sheltonjohns.com

On Jan 5, 2007, at 7:00 PM, Ray Jackson wrote:

> Hi Bryan,
>
> I was trying to avoid creating an architecture dedicated to VM, but
> have Asterisk handle VM in a horizontally scalable way.  I
> understand there are some issues with MWI etc. if you separate out
> the VM from Asterisk?  Could you point me at any good examples of a
> VM architecture I could use as a reference?
>
> Cheers,
> Ray
>
> Bryan M. Johns wrote:
>> Ray,
>> Have you considered using a VM architecture?
>> Bryan M. Johns
>> Partner
>> *Shelton | Johns Technology Group*
>> office: 678:248:2637 x:1500
>> direct: 678:229:1809
>> mobile: 404.259.9216
>> iaxtel: 700:248:2637 x:1500
>> *http://www.sheltonjohns.com* <http://www.sheltonjohns.com/>
>> On Jan 5, 2007, at 5:17 PM, Ray Jackson wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am attempting to build a horizontally scalable Asterisk
>>> deployment and am getting very close to achieving that goal.
>>> With Asterisk 1.4 I now have an IMAP backend for Voicemail
>>> messages which is great as users can check the same messages
>>> either through the voice portal or using Webmail.  However, I'm
>>> not sure the best way of dealing with personalised greetings such
>>> as a user's unavailable/busy message etc. Despite the IMAP
>>> backend these greetings appear to be stored on the local file
>>> system under /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default, which means
>>> if I build a farm of Asterisk servers - each will have it's own
>>> spool directory.  My aim is to have *nothing* stored locally at
>>> all...
>>>
>>> If there a way of storing these greetings in a database table or
>>> using IMAP?  I saw the ODBC voicemail storage module, but I would
>>> prefer to stick with a REALTIME/IMAP backend?  If I mount the /
>>> var/spool/asterisk/voicemail directory remotely using a shared
>>> NFS mount on a NAS device will this work okay or lead to problems/
>>> race conditions etc.?  Any advice would be welcome!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ray