[asterisk-users] no unicall on 1.4

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 21:58:25 MST 2007

On 1/5/07, Anton Krall <akrall at intruder.com.mx> wrote:
> I think you are misunderstanding several points here Moises.
May be

> I do give Digium a break like you said, that's why you have options
I dont understand this. How is related that you give Digium a break,
with the fact
that I have the option of use sangoma, Digium or clone hardware?

> But from the programmers perspective, if some open source software gets too
> controlled by a company, then the synergy of open source is kind of broken,
MySQL is open source, but it is mainly ( only ) developed by the
company itself, so please dont contribute to the widely missuse of the
"open source" concept. Open Source does not mean free, Open Source
does not mean anyone is welcomed to contribute code.

> all projects have rules and what I meant is that Digium right now is too
> controlling and that's why some programmers have decided to leave asterisk
Once again, the rules are not the main problem ( important factor
though ), the main problem are the technical differences.

> and pursue other projects in which they fell more comfortable and can
> provide code in an easier manner.
Good for them!, more options for everyone.

> What I really have never liked is cases like what happened to unicall, there
> was no news or announcements, simply , in 1.4 it's not there anymore :)
Anton, honestly, this is the part that "rings" into my head. Digium
NEVER supported formally the development of Unicall, Unicall was NEVER
part of the formal Asterisk release or addons, so it was NEVER there!.
Unicall was only Steves project that happens to work with Asterisk. If
I write a channel driver, as long as I dont sign and fax a disclaimer
to Digium and is accepted, Digium does not have ANY responsibility
about my code, in this case Steve's code. Even AFTER this, please
execute this:

asterisk -vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvr
show warranty

and if you have the free edition as I suppose you will see a BIG

NO WARRANTY

If you want more support BUY ( if you havent done already ) Asterisk
bussiness/enterprise edition.

Kind Regards and Good Look!

Moises

--