[asterisk-users] no unicall on 1.4

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Fri Jan 5 11:09:11 MST 2007

Anton Krall wrote:

>after all, like you said, it is open
>source..

One of the beauties of the open-source development method is certainly
the ability for the user to modify the source code independently.

Realize, however, that the essense of that independent code modification
is also termed as a code fork - particularly if the modified code is
maintained long-term and especially if it is redistributed.

While I do believe that a light amount of user-experimentation-forking
is normally to be expected and is healthy (because it generally will
help in getting increased exposure and, in turn, flushing out bugs and
such), if you hear the "Don't like it?  Fork." mantra too much or too
frequently I believe that it is a sign of an unhealthy situation.  I
hear it all of the time around here - way, way too much, I would think.

I think that a healthier scenario would be where the developers (who
should actually be listening and care about what users feel, think, and
want) would work with the users to find possible avenues to solutions...
and if, indeed, a fork is the best way forward - then to do it in a way
that is as collaborative as possible.

Lee.