[asterisk-users] no unicall on 1.4

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 08:40:42 MST 2007

On 1/5/07, Anton Krall <akrall at intruder.com.mx> wrote:
> when did asterisk turn from an open source project with very good developers
> nto a business that only focuses in $$$?
They are not mutually exclusive.

> That's why openpbx was born I guess....
I dont think so. I think is more because of technical disagreements.

> For example, samba is still free, and people are making a profit from it by
When does Asterisk stoped being free, sorry but I missed something? :)

> In any case, I (and maybe some other folks) would definitely pay some $$ to
> Steve is he would consider supporting unicall for 1.4... I've always
> believed that if you make money with something, why not give some to the
> good programmers that made it happen...
Of course. What many buissiness people dont get is that programmers
have to eat ;)
And companies like Intruder and Office Connect are selling services
based on software created by people for free, the least think those
companies can do is support the programmers with money, the same thing
you are getting, right?

> probably Digium will end up hiring their own programmers...
There are several programmers that work for Digium, but that does not mean
the project stops being open source ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source )

> what is Digium doing 100% right? HW? No, software, used to, but maybe not now, so?
Sangoma has a much bigger background in electronics, give Digium a
break, they keep working hard on software, and I dont think they are
going to quit, soon or later the software and hardware will get
better.

> come on guys at Digium, focus...
> open source software was about making something by the community for the
> community, not getting XXX million USD in VC while losing your best
> programmers, the community and the R2MFC market :)
Actually you need to read a little more about the open source term,
and dont use it loosely.

I think critics are good, eventually will push Digium to do better
software, but Digium is still a company that needs to make money:
money != evil.

At the end, is open source/freesoftware, if you dont like it, nobody
is stopping you from change it.

Kind Regards

--
"Su nombre es GNU/Linux, no solamente Linux, mas info en http://www.gnu.org"