[asterisk-users] no unicall on 1.4

Anton Krall akrall at intruder.com.mx
Fri Jan 5 06:32:54 MST 2007

Couldn’t agree with you more Lee.

I think its very difficult for a software company to be able to stay focused
on developing the software while been profitable, that’s why many companies
turn to consulting services (Sun), other develop hardware (IBM and OS/2 :))

Digium has been doing a great job with asterisk but like you said, access to
the code without hassle was a plus for developers, now, well, they are
probably going to turn to some other open source project like openpbx and
probably Digium will end up hiring their own programmers and in time,
asterisk could stop been an open source project and become a commercial only
software.

One thing that’s interesting is how Digium turned to hardware like the TDM
cards for getting money but as of now, Sangoma for example offers a better
product (to me at least due to my experience with Digium hardware, timing
sources, HW compatibility, etc.) so let me ask the awkward question: what is
Digium doing 100% right? HW? No, software, used to, but maybe not now, so?

Don’t get me wrong, I love asterisk and will stick with 1.2 until something
comes along (openpbx goes stable, etc.) but come on guys at Digium, focus...
open source software was about making something by the community for the
community, not getting XXX million USD in VC while losing your best
programmers, the community and the R2MFC market :)