[asterisk-users] no unicall on 1.4

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Thu Jan 4 21:14:03 MST 2007

Anton Krall wrote:

>This is exactly one of the things that Steve and I discussed a bit ago...
>when did asterisk turn from an open source project with very good developers
>into a business that only focuses in $$$?

Well, I think that there can be no doubt that there still are some very
good developers working on Asterisk, but yes, I do understand what
you're saying, and I think that we're not the only ones that have
noticed it. In particular I've noticed how the disclaimer requirement is
a sore spot, and as well how impossibly difficult it is for Digium
competitors to get their patches applied to the code base:

http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=7742

>That’s why openpbx was born I guess....

In part, yes. I think that some of these things are like lead weights to
the Asterisk development process - I think that Steve Underwood
appreciated the unfettered CVS commit access to the OpenPBX repository.
That's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that Asterisk may have been able
to have, itself, possibly. I see Steve's participation in OpenPBX as a
big selling point (i.e. real T.38 gatewaying and actual spandsp
integration). However, there's a lot of momentum behind Asterisk, and
that's compensated somewhat for its lead weights up until now, and
OpenPBX can't seem to get a public release out.

At Cluecon last year in Chicago anthm told the conference how it was his
belief that it would be better to start from scratch than to fix up all
of the problems with Asterisk like OpenPBX is attempting - and thus we
have FreeSWITCH.

So there are lots of possibilities out there, and I can only think that
the lead weights in the Asterisk development process will eventually
lead to more issues than with chan_unicall.

>For example, samba is still free, and people are making a profit from it by
>giving out consulting services for deploying samba.. that is a good working
>scenario.... asterisk used to be the same.... can you spell greedy :)?

Well, when you sell consulting services for deploying Samba your
business focus is still on the software. If they were selling
Samba-related hardware or were heavily involved in selling Samba-related
things like books and tee-shirts, etc., instead of actually working the
software itself... well, then I think you'd see the same kinds of
problems that you're frustrated with now. It's all too easy for that
business activity to become a conflict of interest when it's not
directly related to the user-experienced software itself.

Lee.