[asterisk-users] no unicall on 1.4

Barzilai Spinak barcho at creacion.com.uy
Thu Jan 4 17:30:04 MST 2007

Last week I spent a couple of nights understanding and modifying libmfcr2.
After a few hours, the almost comment-free code starts to make sense
(although I would have done many things differently).
As far as I understand it, most (affected/complaining) people are mostly
interested in the MFC/R2 aspect of Underwood's libraries so they can
have their R2 E1 cards working under Asterisk.
This is most of the world (not just third world countries).

libmfcr2 depends on spandsp (DSP processing), and libunicall (call
management).
The part that *actually* interfaces with Asterisk is the "chan_unicall".

So, *I think* there's no need to maintain and adapt the full stack, but
only the "chan_unicall" because MAYBE the Asterisk channel API changed
(a little, a lot???) from 1.2.x to 1.4.x.
Maybe a little debugging of libmfcr2 also...

With enough time I could help, but I'm trying to move away from
telephony right now... I have other projects and areas of interest...

Now, the two unanswered questions:

1) Why is Steve stopping support for Asterisk?  I understand he may be
fed up with Asterisk... but probably he can fix it or half-fix it for
1.4 in a couple of days, then the rest of us can debug it.
2) Why is it that Digium never gave a damn about E1/MFC/R2 and we have
to use these hybrid combinations of libraries?

BarZ