[asterisk-users] no unicall on 1.4

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 18:40:46 MST 2007

On 1/4/07, Barzilai Spinak <barcho at creacion.com.uy> wrote:
> libmfcr2 depends on spandsp (DSP processing), and libunicall (call
> management).
> The part that *actually* interfaces with Asterisk is the "chan_unicall".
Right, Unicall aims to be abstract from the telephony engine and
signaling, so actually you can use unicall with other telephony
engine, like YATE or FreeSwitch, just writting the proper top layer,
in this case, chan_unicall. And you can use a different signaling
writting the proper signaling driver ( like libmfcr2 )

> So, *I think* there's no need to maintain and adapt the full stack, but
> only the "chan_unicall" because MAYBE the Asterisk channel API changed
> (a little, a lot???) from 1.2.x to 1.4.x.
Once again, right, the channel API changed so I guess is not difficult
to port it, just nobody has had the time/skills

> Maybe a little debugging of libmfcr2 also...
libmfcr2 never knows a thing about Asterisk, so were ok here.

> With enough time I could help, but I'm trying to move away from
> telephony right now... I have other projects and areas of interest...
Me too. So, I suggest to the interested parties to wait for someone
with enough time, or place a bounty on voip-info.org and notify
asterisk-dev and asterisk-users about the bounty, money tends to bring
interested developers :)

> Now, the two unanswered questions:
>
> 1) Why is Steve stopping support for Asterisk?  I understand he may be
> fed up with Asterisk... but probably he can fix it or half-fix it for
> 1.4 in a couple of days, then the rest of us can debug it.
Once again, he is doing this for FREE and many people is making profit
from it. Place
a nice bounty, and may be you can get stever underwood ( or someone
else) fixing this

> 2) Why is it that Digium never gave a damn about E1/MFC/R2 and we have
> to use these hybrid combinations of libraries?
Im just guessing, but may be most of Digium clients are in USA so they
focus on libpri.

Regards

Moises Silva

"Su nombre es GNU/Linux, no solamente Linux, mas info en http://www.gnu.org"