[asterisk-users] Re: Grandstream GXW-4108 8 port FXO

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Tue Jan 2 13:04:42 MST 2007

On 2006-12-21 13:29:47 -0800, cb <cb at mythtech.net> said:

> Has anyone used either the 8 port or 4 port FXO device from
> Grandstream? (GXW-4108 or 4104).
>
> They seem to be the lowest cost multi port FXO devices that I can
> find, so I'm getting ready to buy the 8 port version. I just want to
> see if there are any opinions on the device before I commit to the
> purchase.
>
> If people have not used the Grandstream, are there any issues with
> using similar devices (that is, FXO devices that connect to the
> Asterisk server via SIP over Ethernet).
>

> I am looking to connect at least 8 PSTN lines, and as many as 12 or  16
> to Asterisk (Currently using Trixbox, but I'm also looking at  either
> AsterixNow or just building from scratch on a bare linux box).  Money
> is a major concern in my purchases, which is why I'm looking at  the
> Grandstream (even used on ebay, I don't seem to be able to find  8-16
> port FXO devices for less than the approx $50 per port the  Grandstream
> will get me... plus it has a video input for a security  camera which
> is just a plus to me as installing a web capable  surveillance camera
> at the location is on my to do list).

You get what you pay for.

I originally deployed the GS HT-488 as an FXO gateway, as I also
thought that was a "good deal".

Turns out, I would have been much better off paying four times as much
(which I did end up doing), to get something that actually works
reliably.

Sometimes a "good deal" isn't.

Then again, I have no experience with the particular piece you mention.

Personally I would never spend another penny on any grandstream product
after dealing with the HT-488s FXO.

Marty