[asterisk-users] yet another faxing issue (outbound only, via ATA)

Bill Gibbs bgibbs at edurotech.com
Tue Jan 2 13:05:49 MST 2007

2 Asterisk servers 1.2.12.1

Connected via IAX2, same switch, GigE, no packet loss, etc

1 with a Sangoma A101 for a PRI to the PSTN

Ulaw

QoS enabled

NAT for the registered ATA boxes, no nat between the * servers

Faxing inbound:

Call from PRI hits the first Asterisk server

Then talks to the 2nd via IAX2

NVFaxDetect receives the fax, converts to PDF and emails it out

Works great!  Never had an issue

The problem, however is outbound.

Sipura 1001 ATAs. Fax machine connected to the ATA.

Registered to the 2nd asterisk box.  Keep in mind this server runs voice
calls just fine.

Outbound calls from this box are ulaw

The call is then sent via IAX2 (also tried SIP as well) to the Asterisk
server w/ the PRI, then out to the world

Hit and miss to send faxes out

Echo cancellation is enabled on the PRI

I have lowered the rxgain and txgain to -5.0, seems fine for voice.

The ATA is running 3.1.8 firmware from Sipura with fax detect turned

Usually the faxes fail, but sometimes you will get all the pages, but
only a fraction of the page.

I have tried turning off ECM but still the same issue.

I would suspect the Sangom or IAX2, or something of that nature except
receiving faxes traveling to the 2nd asterisk box works just fine!

I also tried to register the ATA to the primary Asterisk server w/ the
PRI, same exact issue.

Any ideas - better luck w/ Grandstream?

I suspect the problem is not Asterisk, or the Sangoma, or jitter or
bandwidth since receiving faxes works fine.  I did not try to receive
faxes through the ATA to the machine itself, I tried that a few months
ago during other testing, never got it to work so I never tried again
once I got NVFaxDetect working for email.

My next step is to connect the fax machine to a Wildcard X100P.

Any other suggestions?  Black magic?  Voodoo?

Bill