[asterisk-users] (OT) Where to post free source for AGI?

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Tue Jan 2 11:30:46 MST 2007

Bruce Reeves wrote:
> After skimming over your readme file I thought I would ask, how does
> this app differ from passing the parameters to the swift program using a
> System dial plan command? You mention having cepstral play back a text
> file in a certain voice, which I have done from the dialplan with the
> options provided by cepstral. I just want to see if I missed something.

The end result (ie: playing a voice) is the same, but the implementation
is different.  For me at least, that is significant in two ways:

1. Simply, easier to read syntax from the dialplan so it's easier for me
to maintain.

2. Because there is a middle layer involved (the AGI), I can also group
related system commands with in a single call.  That means I can do more
in a single dialplan line and try to maintain a more modular system.

3. By standardizing a call from the dialplan using an AGI script, I also
help to insulate myself from changes that might happen to the cepstral
API later on.  I would just have to distribute a new agi to my
installations and not have to change every reference to it in my their
dial plans which is often error prone endeavor.  I could also support
different speech engines by swapping out the AGI app and never have to
change my dial plan, assuming the parameters could be generic enough..?

But, in the end, you're right, you can do the same thing from the system
application.

--

Warm Regards,

Lee