[asterisk-users] Trixbox -- ACPI and IO-APIC?

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Fri Feb 23 08:48:24 MST 2007

Lacy Moore - Aspendora wrote:
> On 2/21/07, Stephen Bosch <posting at vodacomm.ca> wrote:
>> My point is that if it's going to involve rebuilding a kernel to support
>> IO-APIC, then I'd just as soon build from the ground up.
>
> And my point is that this is the Asterisk Users mail list, not the
> Trixbox list.  Either ask other there or ask on a CentOS list.

I saw your point, and I disagree.

Trixbox is what it is, and it is built on Asterisk. Without Asterisk,
there is no Trixbox. Moreover, as long as the Trixbox forums and
documentation are as weak as they are, you can expect to see Trixbox
questions continue to end up on this list.

People are going to keep asking Trixbox questions on this list whether
you (or I) like it or not. Especially when some list members continue to
answer Trixbox questions. Nothing promotes behaviour like positive
reinforcement.

> Once you decide to build from the ground up, your Asterisk questions
> can be reliably answered here.
>
> Most of us don't have any idea what all kinds of weird stuff they put
> in Trixbox these days, which is why I saw reliably answered.  The
> people on here could give you a solution to something that would break
> a Trixbox install.

For the price of admission, I can hardly expect any response to any
question here to be "reliably answered." On this list, as in life, it is
"caveat emptor."

> Your question though, sounds like it needs to be directed to a CentOS,
> or as Kodak said, a RHEL list or forum.

Trixbox can't be said to be a "standard" CentOS or RHEL release any more
than it can be said to be a "standard" Asterisk release.

A question related to kernel config is relevant here. IO-APIC directly
affects whether Digium hardware works properly; it's also pretty hard to
break a Trixbox install that isn't working in the first place. Finally,
the Trixbox distribution is configured in a specific way; I'm not going
to get a reliable answer on kernel configurations in Trixbox from anyone
except someone who's used it.

I know some Asterisk list members have the pure and romantic notion that
this list is to be absolutely "sterile" and that it will tolerate no
Trixbox enquiries, but real life is messier than that, especially where
open source software is concerned, and cares not a whit what a purist
thinks.

> I personally don't have any idea what you are asking, I'm pretty sure
> it's not an Asterisk config question, though.
>
> I don't mean to be rude, just trying to point you in the direction to
> get the best answers.

And I don't mean to be rude, either. :)

Thanks,

-Stephen-