[asterisk-users] Trixbox -- ACPI and IO-APIC?

Kristian Kielhofner kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 09:52:07 MST 2007

On 2/23/07, Stephen Bosch <posting at vodacomm.ca> wrote:

> I saw your point, and I disagree.
>
> Trixbox is what it is, and it is built on Asterisk. Without Asterisk,
> there is no Trixbox. Moreover, as long as the Trixbox forums and
> documentation are as weak as they are, you can expect to see Trixbox
> questions continue to end up on this list.
>
> People are going to keep asking Trixbox questions on this list whether
> you (or I) like it or not. Especially when some list members continue to
> answer Trixbox questions. Nothing promotes behaviour like positive
> reinforcement.

Stephen,

  Thank you for saying this.  I wish more Trixbox users and developers
would remember that trixbox is based off of Asterisk and without
Asterisk, there would be no trixbox.

  Most of the negative attitude towards Trixbox in the Asterisk
community stems from the fact that Trixbox/Fonality LOVES to brag
about their "community" - the biggest Asterisk community, forum posts,
forum members, features, etc.  At one point they bragged that they
have more users than Digium.  How they think they can claim this I
have no idea.

  Anyways, after that rant I'll try to answer your question...

  Originally APIC was used solely for SMP systems.  Most newer
motherboards (even if they are uniprocessor) now have an APIC
(finally).

  However, the Linux kernel allows you to disable APIC controllers on
uniprocessor motherboards.  This is the default for every RedHat
derived kernel that I know of.  This obviously includes CentOS and
trixbox.

  On non-SMP kernels there is a KCONFIG option for this - CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC.

  So, to answer your question...

  Is your system SMP?  If so, does it have an SMP kernel?  If it isn't
SMP and you want to use APIC on your system, you will probably have to
recompile your kernel with CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC enabled.

Shameless plug - If you want a distro that was designed from the
ground up for Asterisk and Zaptel cards, take a look at AstLinux -
http://www.astlinux.org.  Your APIC will certainly work ;).

--
Kristian Kielhofner