[asterisk-users] Customisable In-band ringing?

Ray Jackson ray at jacksonz.net
Tue Feb 13 20:58:12 MST 2007

Nic Bellamy wrote:
> Ray Jackson wrote:
>> Using SIP with progressinband=yes I get Asterisk to generate the
>> ringing sound for callers.  However, I was wondering if it is possible
>> to configure what is 'played back' to the calling party?  i.e. instead
>> of just 'ring ring' could I potentially play back a song from an MP3,
>> WAV or GSM file?  I'm thinking it would be quite cool to offer a
>> customised 'ring' sound while the caller is waiting for you to pick
>> up?  How can I do this with Asterisk or some external module perhaps?
>> Any advice welcome!
> Hi Ray - LTNS - got the VoIP bug too now then? :-)

Been an addict for too long now... might have to seek rehab soon :-)

> The 'm' option has been mentioned, however that requires a separate
> music-on-hold class for each different sound, which would quickly become
> unmanageable.
 >
> Another chap was working on a similar problem - have a look at the
> asterisk-dev thread titled "app_dial.c modification" started by Darren
> Nay on the 24th Jan 2007. I don't know if he's got it working yet, but
> it might be worth getting in touch with him.

Thanks for the pointer.  I am using RealTime/MySQL queries for
everything to avoid having to ever reload.  As you pointed out the 'm'
flag relies on a class which must have already been created in
musiconhold.conf first.  I was hoping there might be some way of
dynamically telling Asterisk to play some inband Media without having to
rely on static config.  I'll keep an eye on that thread and see if
anything comes of it.

Cheers,
Ray