[asterisk-users] Customisable In-band ringing?

Nic Bellamy nicb-lists at vadacom.co.nz
Tue Feb 13 16:36:47 MST 2007

Ray Jackson wrote:
> Using SIP with progressinband=yes I get Asterisk to generate the
> ringing sound for callers.  However, I was wondering if it is possible
> to configure what is 'played back' to the calling party?  i.e. instead
> of just 'ring ring' could I potentially play back a song from an MP3,
> WAV or GSM file?  I'm thinking it would be quite cool to offer a
> customised 'ring' sound while the caller is waiting for you to pick
> up?  How can I do this with Asterisk or some external module perhaps?
> Any advice welcome!
Hi Ray - LTNS - got the VoIP bug too now then? :-)

The 'm' option has been mentioned, however that requires a separate
music-on-hold class for each different sound, which would quickly become
unmanageable.

Another chap was working on a similar problem - have a look at the
asterisk-dev thread titled "app_dial.c modification" started by Darren
Nay on the 24th Jan 2007. I don't know if he's got it working yet, but
it might be worth getting in touch with him.

Cheers,
    Nic.

--
Nic Bellamy,