[asterisk-users] Customisable In-band ringing?

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Tue Feb 13 21:13:58 MST 2007

Quoting Ray Jackson <ray at jacksonz.net>:

hey, why not just play a wav or mp3 of the other person talking instead of
actually placing a call at all ? Wouldn't that be even cooler ? :)

reminds me of the old "dial 811 to hear a duck quack" - someone with too much
time on their hands.

> Nic Bellamy wrote:
>> Ray Jackson wrote:
>>> Using SIP with progressinband=yes I get Asterisk to generate the
>>> ringing sound for callers.  However, I was wondering if it is
>>> possible to configure what is 'played back' to the calling party?
>>> i.e. instead of just 'ring ring' could I potentially play back a
>>> song from an MP3, WAV or GSM file?  I'm thinking it would be quite
>>> cool to offer a customised 'ring' sound while the caller is waiting
>>> for you to pick up?  How can I do this with Asterisk or some
>>> external module perhaps?  Any advice welcome!
>> Hi Ray - LTNS - got the VoIP bug too now then? :-)
>
> Been an addict for too long now... might have to seek rehab soon :-)
>
>> The 'm' option has been mentioned, however that requires a separate
>> music-on-hold class for each different sound, which would quickly
>> become unmanageable.
> >
>> Another chap was working on a similar problem - have a look at the
>> asterisk-dev thread titled "app_dial.c modification" started by
>> Darren Nay on the 24th Jan 2007. I don't know if he's got it working
>> yet, but it might be worth getting in touch with him.
>
> Thanks for the pointer.  I am using RealTime/MySQL queries for
> everything to avoid having to ever reload.  As you pointed out the
> 'm' flag relies on a class which must have already been created in
> musiconhold.conf first.  I was hoping there might be some way of
> dynamically telling Asterisk to play some inband Media without having
> to rely on static config.  I'll keep an eye on that thread and see if
> anything comes of it.
>
> Cheers,
> Ray

Jon Pounder

   _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com