[asterisk-users] Trixbox vs. Custom install

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Mon Feb 12 12:08:22 MST 2007

> Of course, you should take this with a grain of salt since I tried A at H
> (now TrixBox) for a total of 2 weeks before gutting it.  Now, I just
use
>   my own GUI for everything from graphical setup to scripting.

There is nothing wrong with starting out with Trixbox.  I still use it
because I like the Linux distro (CentOS) and I like the fact that it
sets up lots of stuff that I don't have to bother with.  I used Trixbox
to learn a lot about how to use Asterisk, then I went back and did a
clean install on a separate machine to learn about setting up and
installing Asterisk.  For me, having a working system first, playing
with it, breaking it, etc. was very useful because it gave me
perspective when setting up a system from scratch.  Now I actually have
two systems to play with: one Trixbox and one scratch * install.  (I get
the best of both worlds, but I have nothing in production just yet.
I'll decide later which way to go once I'm doing playing with my two
'sandboxes.')

Bottom line is this: you need to start somewhere.  Would you rather
start by using a working system or by building from the ground up?
Neither way is perfect for everyone.  If you have the luxury of doing
both then I can highly recommend it - each method has taught me valuable
lessons that the other method didn't.

HTH...

-MC