[asterisk-users] Trixbox vs. Custom install

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Mon Feb 12 13:18:39 MST 2007

Michael Collins wrote:
>> Of course, you should take this with a grain of salt since I tried A at H
>> (now TrixBox) for a total of 2 weeks before gutting it.  Now, I just
> use
>>   my own GUI for everything from graphical setup to scripting.
>>

> There is nothing wrong with starting out with Trixbox.  I still use it
> because I like the Linux distro (CentOS) and I like the fact that it
> sets up lots of stuff that I don't have to bother with.  I used Trixbox
> to learn a lot about how to use Asterisk, then I went back and did a
> clean install on a separate machine to learn about setting up and
> installing Asterisk.  For me, having a working system first, playing
> with it, breaking it, etc. was very useful because it gave me
> perspective when setting up a system from scratch.  Now I actually have
> two systems to play with: one Trixbox and one scratch * install.  (I get
> the best of both worlds, but I have nothing in production just yet.
> I'll decide later which way to go once I'm doing playing with my two
> 'sandboxes.')
>
> Bottom line is this: you need to start somewhere.  Would you rather
> start by using a working system or by building from the ground up?
> Neither way is perfect for everyone.  If you have the luxury of doing
> both then I can highly recommend it - each method has taught me valuable
> lessons that the other method didn't.

Asterisk at Home was very nice so I can only assume that TrixBox is great.
  An associate of mine (whom got me interested in Asterisk) sells
TrixBox systems like they're going out of style.

I was merely relaying my own experience and agree with you that no way
is ever perfect and the more choices we have, the better.

Personally, I tend to learn new concepts better if I build a solid
foundation of the basics first so starting with a bare asterisk install
ended up working better for me.

--

Warm Regards,

Lee