[asterisk-users] Trixbox vs. Custom install

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Mon Feb 12 11:00:34 MST 2007

Stefano Corsi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm following the thread "Asterisk at Now vs Trixbox", and I have a similar
> question: if someone is going to install Asterisk, FreePBX and
> A2Billing, should you advice him/her to use Trixbox ... or a custom
> "step by step" installation on a distribution of his/her choice?

I started by trying out Asterisk at Home.  I found that learning Asterisk
internals was a bit more challenging trying to read and understand the
A at H scripts.

Eventually, I ended up writing a Windows GUI of my own to help learn
Asterisk.

The nice things about GUI's in my opinion is that routine chores such as
setting up extensions, dialing extensions, hunt groups, etc. are less
likely to contain scripting bugs or typos.  The downside from what I
gather with many GUI's is that the friendly abstraction that insulates
you from the nuts and bolts of scripting and configuration also makes it
difficult to customize the dialplan in some cases.

Of course, you should take this with a grain of salt since I tried A at H
(now TrixBox) for a total of 2 weeks before gutting it.  Now, I just use
  my own GUI for everything from graphical setup to scripting.

--

Warm Regards,

Lee