[asterisk-users] Dialplan checkup

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Mon Feb 12 07:57:41 MST 2007

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Barry Fawthrop wrote:

> Thanks all for your input.
> Based on the comments given I guess I could
> replace the X100p for a TDM22B and then connect the Fax machine to the TDM22B
> and in the dial plan hae
> exten => fax,1,Dial(SIP/40) (being the TDM port) and then it will ring the
> fax machine
> and pass the call in from the PSTN line through the TDM card to the fax
> machine?

It might work better if you use Dial(Zap/4) where 4 is the port on the TDM
card... Also make sure the fax machine answers immediately and goes into
fax reception mode immediately.

> Right, this is possible also or use an ATA if not a TDM card ?/

Possibly. However faxing is very intolerant of packet loss, jitter, phase
of the moon and so on. Remember you are carrying an encoded analogue
signal in digital form, so make sure you do not use a "lossy" codec (ie.
G711 only) and while you or I may be quite tolerant of the odd click, and
packet drop, an analogue modem signal (Which is what a fax communication
is) is not tolerant at all.

Gordon