[asterisk-users] Best phone for easy provisioning

Bryan M. Johns bryan at sheltonjohns.com
Thu Feb 8 15:17:00 MST 2007

> I can only speak for Aastra phones.
>
> Central provisioning is very easy.  All you need is one simple text
> file on a TFTP, FTP, or HTTP server which all the phones point to.
> To customize individual phones you add a second text file for each
> phone you want customized.  The custom text file is given the name
> of the phones MAC address.  When the phone reboots it first reads
> the general text file and then reads it's custom file which will
> overwrite any duplicate setting in the general text file.
>
> To remotely reconfigure and reboot phones you can configure them to
> check for updates to these files or for updated firmware at a
> certain time of day.  You can also remotely reboot individual
> phones based on extension from the Asterisk CLI.  Of course, you
> can also access an individual phones Webpage configuration based on
> it's IP address.

Polycom's central provisioning is very straight forward and very
powerful.

There is support for all major connectivity methods (tftp, ftp, ftps,
http, https, etc) and the configuration capability is more broad than
any other phone we have worked with.

I hope this information is helpful.

Bryan M. Johns
Partner