[asterisk-users] Best phone for easy provisioning

shadowym shadowym at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 8 12:59:53 MST 2007

I can only speak for Aastra phones.

Central provisioning is very easy.  All you need is one simple text file on
a TFTP, FTP, or HTTP server which all the phones point to.  To customize
individual phones you add a second text file for each phone you want
customized.  The custom text file is given the name of the phones MAC
address.  When the phone reboots it first reads the general text file and
then reads it's custom file which will overwrite any duplicate setting in
the general text file.

To remotely reconfigure and reboot phones you can configure them to check
for updates to these files or for updated firmware at a certain time of day.
You can also remotely reboot individual phones based on extension from the
Asterisk CLI.  Of course, you can also access an individual phones Webpage
configuration based on it's IP address.

  _____