[asterisk-users] Re: Re: Help - Poor Voice Quality

Jim Duda jim at duda.tzo.com
Wed Feb 7 09:33:11 MST 2007

Tim,

> What sort of 'poor' quality are we talking about - when folks  complain what words do they use?
On the other end, folks complain that the voice drops out.  Words are lost.  It's very frustrating to communicate.

> Which codec(s) are you using?
ULAW

> How many channels do you want to use at once ?
1 is fine.  This is basic home use.

> What is the round-trip time between you and the teliax server ?
The ping responses are on the order of 15mS.
I ran mtr, teliax is 10 hops away, and I don't see any packet loss.
I was just on the phone with my house, and the call sounded just fine at this time (problems come and go).

This is the dump of iax2 show netstats while the call was up.

Channel                    RTT  Jit  Del  Lost   %  Drop  OOO  Kpkts  Jit  Del  Lost   %  Drop  OOO  Kpkts
IAX2/teliax-2               37   -1    0    -1  -1     0   -1      5    0   40     0   0     0    0      0

> Do you have the jitterbuffer on or off ?
I don't believe so.  I didn't turn jitter on.  I believe jitter is off by default.

Thanks,

Jim