[asterisk-users] Re: Re: Help - Poor Voice Quality

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Fri Feb 9 02:26:45 MST 2007

On 7 Feb 2007, at 16:33, Jim Duda wrote:

> Tim,
>
>> What sort of 'poor' quality are we talking about - when folks
>> complain what words do they use?
> On the other end, folks complain that the voice drops out.  Words
> are lost.  It's very frustrating to communicate.
>
>> Which codec(s) are you using?
> ULAW
>
>> How many channels do you want to use at once ?
> 1 is fine.  This is basic home use.
>
>> What is the round-trip time between you and the teliax server ?
> The ping responses are on the order of 15mS.
> I ran mtr, teliax is 10 hops away, and I don't see any packet loss.
> I was just on the phone with my house, and the call sounded just
> fine at this time (problems come and go).
>
> This is the dump of iax2 show netstats while the call was up.
>
>                                 -------- LOCAL
> ---------------------  -------- REMOTE --------------------
> Channel                    RTT  Jit  Del  Lost   %  Drop  OOO
> Kpkts  Jit  Del  Lost   %  Drop  OOO  Kpkts
> IAX2/teliax-2               37   -1    0    -1  -1     0   -1
> 5    0   40     0   0     0    0      0
>
>> Do you have the jitterbuffer on or off ?
> I don't believe so.  I didn't turn jitter on.  I believe jitter is
> off by default.
>
> Thanks,

That's really weird - everything you say makes it look like it would
be a great setup,
except that it isn't :-(

The only thing I can advise now is to get a packet capture
(etherreal) of the IAX stream for a
bad call and see if the packet timestamps tell us anything.

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.net
www.westhawk.co.uk/