[asterisk-users] Upgrade to Asterisk 1.4 - it's one year's old!

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sun Dec 16 08:29:49 CST 2007

> We run everything on ubuntu server 6.06 LTS and also use freepbx as
> the
> interface with some minor customisations. It works very well and we
> are
> now shifting some others to 1.4 but the issue is if anything goes
> wrong
> its too costly to fix, as part of maintenance we keep them uptodate.
> The
> main blocker for 1.4 was freepbx but now it supports 1.4 and seems to
> manage the transition really well.
I missed that fact. Yes, FreePBX support is an important piece of the
puzzle.

> However being a small self employed group of two the main reason to
> stick with what works is the risk of cost. We don't generally do major
> upgrades without charging but there isn't any seriously missing
> functionality yet, and the effort involved to be sure it will be
> hassle
> free is significant. The clients have to see value in the upgrade.
Absolutely. And we don't want to force upgrades, as an Open Source
project there's no value in that. But at some point we want to quit
supporting these old installations from the project side and move
on.

> We also work with people still on version 1.0, because the risk of
> change to a working system is too high
...and if it works, why change?

> This seems to be the same issue already mentioned but my take on it is
> most people can't cope with any risk on production machines unless
> there
> is some significant gain. Its been a year now, generally I would think
> that means its probably starting to become stable but a year isn't
> very
> long really. Give it another year and the new installs will mostly be
> 1.4 and the migration process will be a lot more trusted. I don't
> think
> a year is really long enough to expect much more than where you are
> at.
Guess we're learning that for a PBX, we have to look into a longer
upgrade path, but a quicker uptake on new installations. That's really
what we look for.

In the case that something else changes and the customer needs to
upgrade, we want it to be as smooth as possible.

> Is there a performance analysis of 1.2 vs 1.4 around or a clear
> business
> analysis of the distinctions in value for each?
I haven't seen that. Anyone else?

Again, thanks for valuable feedback! I am learning a lot from this
discussion.

/O