[asterisk-users] Upgrade to Asterisk 1.4 - it's one year's old!

Tony Plack Tony at plack.net
Mon Dec 17 08:42:38 CST 2007

>> All I can say is with 1.6, if a change is made that causes
>> something that worked in 1.4 not to work in 1.6, please think
>> twice, three times or four times before making the change, or
>> making the change in such a way that it won't break dialplan
>> stuff from 1.4.
>>
> Our policy is to never remove any functionality between two
> versions. We replace the functionality with new functionality and
> print out warnings whenever you use the deprecated functions. We
> also add this to the documenation in the software and the
> UPGRADE.TXT file. So the functionality that you lost in 1.4 was old
> 1.0 functions that was marked as deprecated in 1.2 and removed in
> 1.4.
Just a thought for 1.6 (and maybe a backport to 1.4 and should have been in 1.2)....
What if the warning messages about deprecated functions were able to be tracked in a separate file.  I can see on some busy machines that these warning messages get lost.  I thought I had all of them handled on our dial plan, but learn 4 "new" locations I was using old functions just last month.

This way, when the users look to upgrade, they change the reporting location for these commands, and then check them in a month to see what they need to fix in the dial plan.

Just a thought.