[asterisk-users] Upgrade to Asterisk 1.4 - it's one year's old!

Duncan Turnbull duncan at e-simple.co.nz
Sun Dec 16 06:22:25 CST 2007

We build and maintain 7 Asterisk boxes for our customers, I have
recently moved 3 to 1.4. I also use iaxmodem and on the last one 1.4.14
I was getting iax thread errors - which was reported as a bug in much
earlier versions but apparently fixed.  When 1.4.15 came out (two days
later) it solved this problem, for me at least. I didn't dig any further
but it did moderate my confidence somewhat.

We run everything on ubuntu server 6.06 LTS and also use freepbx as the
interface with some minor customisations. It works very well and we are
now shifting some others to 1.4 but the issue is if anything goes wrong
its too costly to fix, as part of maintenance we keep them uptodate. The
main blocker for 1.4 was freepbx but now it supports 1.4 and seems to
manage the transition really well.

However being a small self employed group of two the main reason to
stick with what works is the risk of cost. We don't generally do major
upgrades without charging but there isn't any seriously missing
functionality yet, and the effort involved to be sure it will be hassle
free is significant. The clients have to see value in the upgrade.

We also work with people still on version 1.0, because the risk of
change to a working system is too high

This seems to be the same issue already mentioned but my take on it is
most people can't cope with any risk on production machines unless there
is some significant gain. Its been a year now, generally I would think
that means its probably starting to become stable but a year isn't very
long really. Give it another year and the new installs will mostly be
1.4 and the migration process will be a lot more trusted. I don't think
a year is really long enough to expect much more than where you are at.
The debian stable, unstable, and testing model would be useful here,
debian stable is so reliable it just rocks, if there was a version like
that it would be fantastic (of course you trade access to the latest
features for it) . We find ubuntu server a great balance between debian
stability and getting the latest options.

Is there a performance analysis of 1.2 vs 1.4 around or a clear business
analysis of the distinctions in value for each?

Cheers Duncan