[asterisk-users] Asterisk on IBM Netvista 2800 8364-EXX?

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Thu Dec 13 20:40:08 CST 2007

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 03:09:40 +0100, Vincent wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 21:42:49 -0600, "Michael Graves"
><mgraves at mstvp.com> wrote:
>>You can keep the POTS line but remote call forward to your ITSP.
>
>Yup, but
>1) the telco that handles the POTS line charges us for the connection
>between our POTS number and the ITSP, with the caller obviously paying
>for calling our POTS number
>2) in addition to this, I'll have to pay for the ITSP.
>
>Financially, it makes more sense just keep a solid, direct POST line
>into our office. The only reason I would move to an ITSP is if/when I
>needed the freedom of moving the Asterisk server around.

This may well be true, but the cost difference is minimal, or was for
me. My point is that trialing ITSPs is very cheap. One of the major
advantages of using voip is that call termination and DIDs are wholly
separate matters. You can send outbound calls to various ITSPs based on
least cost routing, leaving your POTS lines free to take incomming
calls. The flexibility truly is worth the small extra cost.

For personal reasons I was determined to not do business with AT&T, so
when SBC was merged with AT&T I had considerable motiviation to move
away from using POTS.

Michael
--
Michael Graves