[asterisk-users] where is 1.4.12?

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed Aug 29 21:35:04 CDT 2007

Matt wrote:
> I guess my request is just that Digium maybe spend a little more time
> in QA before rolling a release out the door.   It's just annoying when
> you do what should be a dot upgrade, and find out  a feature that had
> worked just one dot below has now stopped working, or worse yet
> asterisk segfaults.    And when it's on a production system you can't
> just "keep trying and get traces".

I appreciate your feedback.  The past few months has been an interesting
learning experience for the project in terms of release management.  The needs
of the project are changing, for sure.  I can assure you that the desire for
more testing is being worked on.

Another Digium software developer, Joshua Colp, has recently been working on an
automated build farm with virtual machines for all of the different operating
systems we support.  It already has 64 and 32 bit versions of Linux (glibc and
uclibc) and FreeBSD, building both asterisk 1.4 and trunk (development for the
next major version).  It is still growing, with planned support for Solaris 10
x86/x86-64/sparc, and Mac OSX PPC/Intel.

It uses the program, buildbot.  It has a web interface and IRC bot that we are
already using to control builds and receive updates on build status.  Another
feature it supports is having it run builds with a custom set of changes.  Once
things are running smoothly, I would like to start looking into ways we can have
it run some automated runtime tests to verify basic functionality.

--
Russell Bryant
Software Engineer