[asterisk-users] Hangup detection and trombining

Ben Dinnerville bdinnerv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 18:13:28 CDT 2007

Hi All,

I hate to post yet another "bloody hangup detection issue" on the list, but
I have been pulling my hair out no end of late with a hangup detection issue
on 1 system (have a few others out there with TDM400's and no issue but this
one is causing a real headache)

The scenario is - system with TDM04B, a call comes in on a analogue line,
rings internally and then diverts to a mobile on a second analogue line, so
we in effect have a trombone happening where a call comes in on 1 analogue
and back out on another analogue.

Hangup detection seems to be working most of the time, but on a regular
basis does not (about once every 2 days or so). We cannot get hangup
supervision / polarity reversal or any other smart way of detecting a
hangup, so are using busydetect. What seems to be happening is that on
trombone'd calls when both parties hangup, there is a busy tone being played
on each leg of the call back down each line. Some times we seem to get lucky
and the tones are played in sync and a hangup occurs, but other times the
tones are out of sync with each other and are overlapping, causing a
non-normal tone on the line(s) or a continuous tone rather than a 'beep beep
beep' which means the card / system cannot detect a hangup via busy detect.

Can anyone out there confirm if my assumptions are correct re the dual'ing
or the tones and the effect it will have on hangup detection?

And if correct, can anyone recommend a work around to get hangup detection
working in such a scenario?

Cheers,

Ben