[asterisk-users] Can't create audio conversation between softphonesthrough Asterisk

Gerald A geraldablists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 13:58:40 CDT 2007

Hi,

On 8/27/07, Kutman.DK at forces.gc.ca <Kutman.DK at forces.gc.ca> wrote:

> In the early stages of deciding how to try and develop this environment, I
> looked at all the protocols that could be used. SIP was chosen just because
> it seemed to me that it was the most widely used protocol. I believe IAX is
> a new protocol with a little less documentation and examples. The good thing
> about this Jain-sip-phone is that it saves a lot of time since many of the
> important classes are more or less written already. In short, my goal is to
> create a custom softphone GUI interface. I am using this Jain-sip-phone as
> an example, so that I could learn the SIP protocol/RTP transmission better.

The reason I asked is because IAX works better through firewalls and is
easier to troubleshoot. It's not as widely deployed as SIP, but it does work
around some major things that SIP makes harder.
I'm not sure of the quality or lineage of the  JAIN application code, so
can't comment if it's a good jumping off point.

I have not really started altering much of the code yet because I was trying
> to see if it would run as is, so I have not tried dialing the Jain clients
> without a subscription. I believe Asterisk does accept subscription
> requests, but for some reason it doesn't like this one. I will soon start to
> experiment with the source code.

Subscription is used for presence. It can be used in an IM type app, or to
"light up" a button on a  phone when someone is busy.
It shouldn't be needed to exchange a call though, and if you can do it
without the subscription piece then it could help to pin down
the issue you are having. (It might be _just_ the subscribe that is having
an issue).

I should have time later this afternoon to check your traces, and I'll try
and give Jain a kick.

Thanks,
Gerald.