[asterisk-users] Stable-Stable Asterisk

James FitzGibbon james.fitzgibbon at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 11:58:32 CDT 2007

On 8/24/07, Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com> wrote:

> I'm going to end this email with a question myself... how many people
> have Asterisk on a development/staging server before deployment, test,
> and isolate the issues they may have in their specific scenario?

I do, but many of the problems I have experienced (see #10199 for an
example) don't manifest under anything but production loads.  In that
particular case, I couldn't find a way to replicate the levels of traffic
and the nuances of agent pickup / ignore / hangup / etc. in my lab.  My
current load test consists of a lab box generating about 50-75 concurrent
calls to an ITSP that terminate on another * conencted to PRI.  But what you
do with a call when it hits your box can make a difference.  I had a load
test that just walked through my IVRs pressing random keys for about 5
minutes.  I could load 4 PRI full of calls to that context and the box would
be fine.  The second I added queueing (so that there was SIP signalling out
to agent softphones), I'd get a kernel panic.  The agent didn't even have to
pick up the phone - just making it ring was enough.

Let me ask a question myself: what kind of regression test does * undergo
before release, and what level of traffic gets put through stuff like
app_queue?  I assume it's not real-world scale, else these hard to pin down
concurrency issues we're seeing would have been caught in test.

--
j.