[asterisk-users] Stable-Stable Asterisk

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Fri Aug 24 11:27:30 CDT 2007

Doug Lytle wrote:
> Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 07:33:21AM -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
>>
>> stability problems) with 1.0, ahve already migrated to 1.2 or 1.4, and
>> now swear (by?) 1.2 or 1.4.
>>

> My decision based on what I've been reading in the bug tracker and
> people commenting on how they've had to roll back to 1.2 to regain a
> stable system.  We are not having issues with our 1.2.x installs, but
> I've been 'encouraged' by the development team to upgrade to 1.4.

I'll just chime in for those who are thinking of moving to 1.4 and do
end up having issues... don't just turn around and go back to 1.2
immediately. File a bug report with all the needed information so things
can get fixed. As a development team we can't test every single scenario
possible with Asterisk, we depend on the users to tell us if there are
problems and tell us how to reproduce them. Asterisk only gets better
thanks to the users out there. If you file a bug report keep on top of
it... if more information is needed, provide it. I've had a few bugs
where the reporter dropped off the radar and I had to end up trying
every possible configuration combination to find the bug and fix it,
taking away time that I could have spent on other issues.

I'm going to end this email with a question myself... how many people
have Asterisk on a development/staging server before deployment, test,
and isolate the issues they may have in their specific scenario?

--
Joshua Colp
Software Developer