[asterisk-users] Quick DUNDi Poll Questions, For All Asterisk, Users, Please Give Feedback

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon Aug 20 08:59:42 CDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 09:26:00AM -0400, Matthew Brothers wrote:
> >> I wouldn't exactly say that it is too difficult but that the target
> >
> > I'd say that duni.conf is a reference, and you expect it to be an
> > introductory document. A reference should be comprehensive. It is best
> > used after you've grasped the basic concepts, and together with a text
> > search. Asterisk's "sample" configuration files actually serve a role
> > of a reference.
>
> The config files can be both a reference and an introduction.  Look
> at sip.conf.  Most of the examples in that file are relatively
> simple, what you would expect for a beginner to set up most of the
> time.  There are also some more complex examples in that file.
> Lastly, the sip.conf file has a good section that explains pretty
> much any option that could be used in sip.conf.  We should strive to
> make all of the conf files similar to sip.conf and iax.conf.

It explains the configuration file. But it does not explain the SIP
channel.

And it is very very long. way too long to be useful for a beginner.
Also, if you have NAT issues, what makes you think you should actually
have a look in the "section" for "media handling". What exactly is the
meaning of "path" there?

What does "user" mean? What does "peer" mean? A simple text-search in
the document is not useful enough, as those two words appear in
different contexts as well.

This file has a lots of useful information. But it will not be useful
enough to a novice admin without a nicer introduction.

(But then again, if anybody wishes to write something, I won't say "no")

> I don't disagree with you that a separate intro document is needed
> but there is no reason that the conf files could not serve a broader
> purpose.

One obvious reason: it gets in the way of the original role as sample
config files. If you have a huge sip.conf , you can't manage it.
(even if you heard if 'grep -v ^; filename.conf')

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com