[asterisk-users] RAW asterisk!

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Aug 16 16:21:31 CDT 2007

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Bill Andersen wrote:

> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> I started with (a).
>>
>> But since you have a dial-plan that does most of what you want, why not
>> extract the dialplan (extensions.conf, etc.) and start with that?
>
> I may be showing my ignorance here, but from what I 'understand',
> there are two ways to save config information.  Either in the text
> files (extensions.conf, sip.conf, etc) OR in a database (MySQL).
> My particular commercial asterisk stores their config in a DB.
>
> I've looked a the extensions.conf and there isn't anything having
> to do with my extensions in that file.  It looks stock.
>
> That being said, I guess I could get onto the mysql command line
> and look around, but I think I would rather set up a 'pure' asterisk
> box and get used to editing the files manually - so I understand them.
>
> OR, is the DB way to go?  That's why I'm asking for opinions!

I've not used the DB/realtime stuff at all, but the bulk of what I do is
actually a "canned" asterisk inna box with a GUI... :)

I got the starfish book which you can now get online, I also got the
O'Reilly Switching To VoIP which was useful too, (it has more examples)
had a look at what came with asterisk, spent a week on a boat in weather
too rough to dive, digested the books and and got on with it...

I split the config files up to make them managable, and use #include to
bring in the smaller parts.

I would suggest that if your installation is fairly well defined and
mostly static, you keep it as simple as possible, so don't use MySQL
but do split config files up and use lots of comments...

Out of curiosity, what's the GUI you are currently using and what do you
feel are it's limitations?

Cheers,

Gordon