[asterisk-users] OT - Callto:// tags inside web pages

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Wed Aug 8 10:51:44 CDT 2007

Dean,

It's for tens of single user : a couple of users at a time on as many
locations I can get !

I've got a contact with an ISV with sells directories (with coporate
charting capabilities).
Today, its software is mainly used to edit and display charts and
directories.
In directory use, it displays extensions and phone numbers with convenient
browsing facilities.

I now have the opportunity to ask the ISV to extend its software to include
click2call facilities.
But given ISV background, soft will remain independant from phone
infrastructure as attendant console usage is not the widest spread usage.
So bottom line is if infrastructure provides click2call, that's fine and if
doesn't, it doesn't really matter.

So I'm looking for something as non-intrusive and general as possible : for
an attendant welcoming calls all day long, click2call feature is a must and
you can pick whatever browser is best for that task. But the operator uses
this software from time to time, browser compliance is mandatory.

Using a softphone or not for answering call, is not my main concern today
(nor having this software installed or downloaded is not my focus) as I know
it can somehow be done, at least with an hardphone.

But what really matters for me now, is I could trigger click2dial feature.

Skype Internet Exporer plugin detects phone numbers and replace them with
active <callto:> tag enabled buttons
Shall I aim the same with Asterisk instead of Skype ?

Your suggestion to both use <sip> and <callto> seems very smart to me.

How shall I then link those tags with my click2call or softphone software ?
It looks like a Configuration Panel option, but I'm not sure.
Your opinion ?

Regards