[asterisk-users] Difference between WaitExten and TIMEOUT (response)

bilal ghayyad bilmar_gh at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 4 15:24:04 CDT 2007

Dear Michael;

I understood it in that way (please advise me if I am
correct):

WaitExten is for the time to complete entering the
digits, while timeout is specified wether user
responded by dialing any thing or not.

Please advise.
regards

The difference is in the scope of the command.

Think of it this way:

WaitExten gives the user more time to enter digits
before the dialplan
moves on to the next instruction in the dial plan.
Timeout is the max
number of seconds to wait at any point in the current
context before
deciding the user either got confused, doesn't know
what their doing,
 or
fell asleep.

Clear as mud?