[asterisk-users] 100 users - voip lan security and qos ?

A_ Navone navone2 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 29 12:57:17 MST 2007

i have a customer that needs to plug the phones into the pc's
using the pass-through rj45 available on most sip phones

the question they are asking me is how to keep the data network
separate from / secure from the voip network

i understand they can set up vlans but i am hazy on a few details

1
since the phones are plugged into the pc's how will the phones
be segmented into their own vlan ?

2
assuming the phone sends out a tos bit, how can we confirm
that the customer's switch can read the tos bit and correctly
prioritize it ?

3
to prioritize voip in the router (coming from the switch)
we are looking at the wrtg54L and have
found these 2 juicy websites
http://openwrt.org
and
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php

has anyone downloaded and flashed the "voip" firmware ?
does it give worthwhile advantages over the default firmware ?
does the wrtg54L have any advantages over other routers ?

any other advice to offer ?

thank you so much in advance