[asterisk-users] Hardware suggestions for 8-10 lines in the UK

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Apr 19 07:28:20 MST 2007

> Best bet would be to talk to <insert telco of preference> and ask them what they recommend. For anything more than about 8 channels a PRI is likely to be the most cost-effective route if you need physical lines on-site, especially if that's likely to grow beyond 8 lines in the future.

Just for reference:

- Called BT and their prices are basically the same for PRI as they are
for analogue (~£10/month), but you need to buy a minimum of 8 lines for
a PRI.  You can then increase decrease in single lines.  DIDs are quite
cheap also (practically free)

- Installation cost is cheaper on PRI than analogue, but they will waive
the installation cost if you buy something else from them such as
broadband or a mobile phone

Sounds like PRI is the way we will go therefore as long as the equipment
is reliable.  Can anyone recommend PRI cards which are known to work
flawlessly with Euro ISDN 30?  (FWIW, BT tell me they now supply all new
lines as Euro standard instead of the v85 that it claims on the voip wiki)

> You've obviously had better success with the TDM400Ps than I have in the UK. Certainly the call quality on asterisk installs we've done around Northampton/Milton Keynes has improved markedly since we switched to delivering calls via SIP or IAX rather than using physical lines on-site. The clients are also happy - each less line they have on-site is a saving of at least £10/month.

Agreed.  My experience is that quality is higher on Voip than it is via
a TDM400p.  However, my experience hasn't been that VoiP is as reliable
as copper lines and so unless you can tolerate the odd outage once per
month or two then you might want to stick to copper for the main
carrier?  Does this match with the experience from others?

Still after recommendations on a server box (2U with space for a couple
of PCI cards would be sensible), the PRI card and also any ATA adaptors
which are known to work well with fax units

Cheers

Ed W