[asterisk-users] Hardware suggestions for 8-10 lines in the UK

Chris Bagnall lists at minotaur.cc
Thu Apr 19 05:37:31 MST 2007

> I have previously had good success on smaller installations with TDM400P
> cards.  I now have a UK customer looking for 8-10+ lines and it seems
> like a PRI would be most economical + reliable?

Best bet would be to talk to <insert telco of preference> and ask them what they recommend. For anything more than about 8 channels a PRI is likely to be the most cost-effective route if you need physical lines on-site, especially if that's likely to grow beyond 8 lines in the future.

However, I should mention that most of our recent (larger) installs have involved a single BRI on-site (for emergency calls, etc.) but routing nearly all other calls out via SIP/IAX to an upstream wholesale provider. Likewise, said wholesaler also provides standard geographic numbers.

You've obviously had better success with the TDM400Ps than I have in the UK. Certainly the call quality on asterisk installs we've done around Northampton/Milton Keynes has improved markedly since we switched to delivering calls via SIP or IAX rather than using physical lines on-site. The clients are also happy - each less line they have on-site is a saving of at least £10/month.

(if you want to discuss wholesale providers, that's probably not something for this non-commercial list - email me directly if you like)

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Chris
For full contact details visit http://www.minotaur.it/chris.html