[asterisk-users] zaptel/ssh interaction

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Sun Apr 15 08:40:35 MST 2007

Thanks to everyone so far for the suggestions; I have a few things to
try.

Some things I want to note:

1) Yes, I am certain that when I load and unload the modules, they are
really loaded or unloaded. I did check with lsmod. I am also certain
that the problems I am having are 100% correlated with whether the
zaptel drivers are loaded. No driver, no problem, load driver, problems
return.

2) I do not have an IRQ conflict (at least not directly; no shared
interrupt numbers in /proc/interrupts)

3) The zaptel drivers do function properly when loaded. Asterisk works
with my Digium card.

4) SSH itself works fine. It is only the initial key negotiation that
fails when zaptel is loaded. If I stop asterisk and unload zaptel, then
I can ssh in, and if I then reload zaptel and restart asterisk, my
already-established ssh session works fine. The same thing happens with
the ipsec-tools/racoon tunnel. If I start racoon on both ends and let it
set up the SA, I can then reload zaptel and asterisk and the tunnel
works fine. When the SA times out and racoon has to renegotiate the SA,
it fails with a similar type of message, as though the packets it is
seeing are malformed.

5) All other network-related traffic works fine, whether or not zaptel
is loaded. It is only things related to RSA key negotiation that fail.

6) The zaptel driver also affects the sound. I get extraneous beeps and
pops in the playback stream.

Some things I will try:

1) Zaptel 1.4.1
2) See if Zaptel 1.4.1 will build with a newer kernel, and if so,
whether the newer kernel makes a difference.
3) Disabling non-essential stuff in the BIOS (I'm pretty sure I already
did that, but I do see a floppy in my interrupts list even though the
system doesn't have a floppy drive installed, so I will check)
4) Unloading the sound driver and/or removing the sound card (#6 above
suggests this might help)

I will report back on the results. Thank you all very much for the
suggestions. This is a problem that I must find a solution to.

--Greg